|O'Fallon Historical Society
|O'Fallon Historical Society Museum
101 W State St, PO Box 344
O'Fallon, IL 62269-0344
|Office Phone: 618-624-8409
Hours: Wed, Fri, Sat 1 - 4 pm
and by appointment
|Would you like to become a member of the O'Fallon Historical Society?
Dues are only $12 per year for individuals, $15 for families. Click here for application.
|Copyright 2011 O'Fallon Historical Society, Inc. All rights reserved.
Click here for copyright information.
|Preserving the history
of the O'Fallon area
|A very brief history of O'Fallon
Though Native American settlement dates back centuries, O’Fallon’s first modern-day settlement
was made in 1802 by Revolutionary War veteran Capt. Joseph Ogle. Others soon followed, lured
by rich land well suited to agriculture. It was here that John Mason Peck founded Rock Spring
Seminary in 1827, the first college in Illinois. Within 25 years, coal mining had begun and the Ohio
& Mississippi Railroad was built. The town began as O’Fallon Station, a depot of the O & M
Railroad, named for railroad president Col. John O’Fallon of St. Louis, a nephew of George Rogers
Clark and William Clark. The first lots were sold at public auction on May 13, 1854. The first public
school was built in 1861. O’Fallon was incorporated as a village in 1874 and converted to city
government in 1905. The Community Park was established in 1924 and a public library in 1930.
Scott Air Force Base, founded in 1917, contributed to much of O’Fallon’s growth and I-64 fueled its
rise as a commercial center. O’Fallon is the birthplace of actor William Holden and illustrator Bernie
Fuchs. Today, at over 25,000, O’Fallon is one of the fastest growing cities in the St. Louis area.
|O'Fallon, Illinois Time
Society meetings are held the 3rd Tuesday of each month year round (except June) at 7 pm at the History
Museum, 101 W. State Street in historic downtown O'Fallon, Illinois. June is the month of our annual picnic at a
different location and time but same date. There is generally a program following the business meeting. The
monthly meetings are open to the public and there is no admission charge. Free parking is available in front of
the museum on State Street or on the city lot directly south of the building across the railroad tracks. There are
no parking meters in O'Fallon -- parking is always free.
In case of inclement weather, please call ahead before visiting the museum to make sure we're open.
News and Upcoming Events
School Photo Project -- The Society is now posting photos online of O'Fallon area grade school classes with
students identified, to the extent that they are known. Eventually, O'Fallon High School photos as well as other
school related items will be posted. Click on the "Photos" link at the top of this page to check them out.
News from Other Local Historical Groups
Interested in the work of the O'Fallon Historic Preservation Commission? They meet the first Tuesday of each
month (except July) at 6:30 pm at the museum. The Commission is a city advisory board appointed by the
mayor. Meetings are open to the public.
|The museum building was
named a St. Clair County
Historic Site by the St.
Clair County Historical
Society on Oct. 19, 2008.
|Built in 1904, the building was originally home to the First National
Bank until 1960. It was the site of the O’Fallon Public Library from
1930 to 1945 (second floor) and 1962 to 1995. Since 1996, it has
been the home of the O’Fallon Historical Society Museum and is
owned by the City of O’Fallon. The second floor originally housed
the Smiley Brothers Telephone Exchange as well as a wide variety
of businesses and professionals including city offices.
|Want to know about our sister city, O'Fallon, Missouri? Check out the website of their historical society here.